Canfor is proud to be an Official Community Partner of the Canada Winter Games, which take place in Prince George from February 13 to March 1, 2015. During the games, British Columbia’s north will be showcased for 2,350 athletes, 950 coaches and thousands of volunteers and visitors. We are excited to have the opportunity to share the Games with Canfor operating communities in the region.
Canfor will be arranging day trips for students in Grades 9 through 11 in our operating communities to attend 2015 Canada Winter Games events such as ice hockey, freestyle skiing or snowboarding. We understand that some schools will be closed for the duration of the Games, and we are hoping to initiate planning well in advance of next year’s Games events so your students have access to the Canfor program.
For students and the parent and teacher volunteers that participate, Canfor will provide:
- Same-day return charter bus transportation from your community;
- A tour of post-secondary education facilities and forestry-related programs in Prince George;
- Admission to the 2015 Canada Winter Games events taking place on the date allocated for your community;
- All meals on the day of the event; and,
- Canfor-branded gifts and merchandise.
To make this opportunity available to your students, we are asking schools to partner with us to:
- Advise us of the number of students expected to be enrolled in Grades 9, 10 and 11 in your school for 2015.
- Inform students of the opportunity to attend a 2015 Canada Winter Games event, and notify parents by way of any school newsletters or other communications. Canfor will provide posters to display at your school.
- Circulate Canfor-provided permission slips and coordinate the process of receiving signed permission slips from parents. Permission slips will identify any disabilities or dietary needs that need to be accommodated in our planning.
- Recruit volunteer teacher and parent chaperones to accompany the group. We are hoping to have 1 adult per each 15 student participants. Teacher and parent chaperones will also be eligible to receive tickets to the 2015 Canada Winter Games opening or closing ceremonies;
For more information please have your high school contact Stephanie.Sengara@canfor.com or 604.264.6292. We look forward to working with you to make the 2015 Canada Winter Games a regional experience for students in Canfor’s operating communities.
Download the Hockey Poster to display at your school.
Download the Figure Skating Poster to display at your school.
Download the Snowboarding Poster to display at your school.